The three-story building had an auditorium on the top floor with classrooms on the two lower floors. At its peak in the late 1920's, the school employed six teachers and had an enrollment of 115 students. The elementary teachers earned 95 dollars per month and the high school teachers earned $150 per month.
Declining enrollment and the high cost of maintaining the high school forced the school to discontinue the high school courses. Students were then bussed to nearby Grey Eagle and Swanville. The school then employed three teachers. The school closed its doors in 1971.
The school building was taken over by the City of Burtrum and later sold to a former teacher. The teacher later willed the building to a former student. It served as storage space for many years and still stands vacant and in ruins.